Presenting: The Villian Proposed

Image
RiMA - PIXIV Presenting a new novel, raws provided by jasmine🌸, Aa88 and manhwalover. I hail the consortium! Blurb: Lady Regina Bellua happens upon a murder one fateful evening and sees the killer. The killer is none other than Society's darling, the Duke of Greroy, Arsene Greroy.  And he saw her...

The Master's Sun Episodes 1 and 2 - Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is a ghost wanting...

Everyone and their ugly yappy dogs will be blogging this so there's no need for recaps from me since I will not be watching this hot off the stove. I'll just state my feelings and opinions.






I really liked the intro, it tapped into the new craze of Korean webcomics. The show itself seems to have been shot with Korean movie cameras, it had the same soft focus hazy visual quality Korean movies have, like Cyrano did.


The episode begins with atmospheric music that draws you in without distracting you from the happenings. I didn't find it particularly scary even though I am easily scared by horror. What I don't get is why Tae Sun isn't used to this already and why she dresses like an escaped mental institution patient?

         

Why is Tae Sun so scared of the ghosts? Yes, they are bothersome but they usually turn out alright. She should be used to it by now. I'm at work. When I'm home, you can bring your petitions...ne? Or am I too logical for Tae Sun's universe? Thinking more on it, she gets no sleep, that's the main issue, I guess.

         

Nevertheless, I love Gong Hyo Jin. She's cute, looks like a normal human being and most of all she is a great actress. She sells Tae Sun well, I was endeared right off the bat even though I found the constant fear and restlessness a teeny bit tiresome. I suppose if she wasn't that way she'd be Jennifer Love Hewitt in the Ghost Whisperer. Actually, this is the Ghost Whisperer Korean style. She is a riveting character, and Hyo Jin is very good at expressing her self visually compared to a lot of Korean actresses, who can't make proper expressions. I would really like to see her angry, like really mad.



So Ji Sub is good also, but them most older male Korean actors are good at being expressive with their eyes and with their body. I guess when they get to that level, they lose their inhibitions a bit.  This is the first drama I have experienced him, so I'm just watching him and seeing how he does.



It was really nice to see Kim Min Kyung as a rich lady; she looked lovely. She is always playing poor ahjummas in the dramas I end up watching. It was a nice change. But it reinforced my thought that the only difference between a rich woman and a poor woman is a good hair dresser, better make up techniques and maybe a classy wardrobe assistant.


The show throws in some interesting concepts especially the moving newspaper foreshadowing Tae Sun's new mission. It looked futuristic rather than supernatural.

The tale is sappy in parts like they are trying to wring emotions out of the viewers. I really wanted the footballer guy to scream when he saw the ghost, but alas, they wanted the story to be touching rather than hilarious. Pity.

         

  Although I teared up a bit watching episode 2 with the teenage girl and her terrible friends. I guess because I could relate to the poor girl's situation. Although I don't understand why she was wearing a uniform when she died in her mufti. Mr continuity, please pay attention.


She has good chemistry with both leads, maybe I'm projecting, but I feel Tae Sun and Joo-goon's chemistry is slightly better than her's and Kang Woo, only slightly. On my chemistry scale, Tae-Sun+Joo-goon are on 9.1 and Tae Sun+Kang Woo are 8.8. I dunno why I have to quantify these things but I do. Her interactions with Kang Woo are too cute, but I guess the intensity of her interactions with Joo-goon increases the sizzle.


I have no complaints about Seo In Gook as Kang Woo. Yet. I'm sure I will wish to punch him at some point. I always do.

Anyway, I am joining the rest of the western K-drama viewing public and loosing my marbles. I liked it. Maybe because I don't over-saturate myself with dramas, therefore, I'm not jaded yet and I always bring super low expectations to the viewing. Super low expectations serve me well. So Wednesday-Thursday cannot come quickly enough.


On a side note, poor Tae Sun being scammed by the abandoned kids. I guess when you need a roof over your head and fresh food in your belly, you do what you gotta do.

My pet peeve is the Korean drama penchant for lens-less glasses. It had to be the 80's hipster look as well. I really wanted to punch those frames off his face. He looked like a middle aged lesbian librarian. (Please note I have nothing against the specific demographic please do not internet-beat me >.< )

Popular posts from this blog

Mo Yan in the Book 1 - 3 (H)

Frangipani 1 - 2 (h)

Mo Yan in the Book 16 - 20 (H, 3P)