Presenting: The Villian Proposed

Image
RiMA - PIXIV Presenting a new novel, raws provided by jasmine🌸, Aa88 and manhwalover. I hail the consortium! Blurb: Lady Regina Bellua happens upon a murder one fateful evening and sees the killer. The killer is none other than Society's darling, the Duke of Greroy, Arsene Greroy.  And he saw her...

Cinderella Did Not Leave Her Shoe - Side Stories II

 

Pinterest

Meeting with the King:

One evening, I was summoned by my father, the King.

I immediately left my rooms and went to see him. As I walked down a quiet corridor on the way to his office, I thought that it was rare that he would ask to see me late at night.

When my father was younger, he supported his father as the crown prince. Since he became king, he was an exemplar for everyone. He had an air of distant dignity before everyone.

I was admitted to his office without fanfare, and I stood before his great desk waiting for what he wanted to say.

‘Stefan, I have something I've been wanting to talk to you about.’

It was about the last great war. The Castley family assisted my great-grandfather in brokering the peace agreement with the opposing country. And then there was the money...

Thinking back to my actions that afternoon, I suddenly felt dizzy.

How could the Royal family ask this of a mercantile family?

I shouldn’t have acted like that to the Castleys!

I recollected myself and looked at my father,

‘I intended on informing you, but it seems like I was a little late.’ the King said, ‘I should have informed you when you were crowned. I should have apologised and compensated the Castley family after I ascended the throne. They were despised by aristocracy for such a long time. I should have made the world aware of their service to the crown even if I had to force the issue.’

Force the issue...that would probably have caused a big headache, I mumbled to myself. But it seemed like father heard me, he rubbed his forehead.

‘I did speak to Viscount Castley about telling the aristocracy of their service, but he adamantly refused.’

He refused such an honour? I didn’t really understand why.

‘It seems Viscount Castley is someone that does not like fanfare.’

From what I observed this afternoon, he didn’t seem to be someone who had any grudge against our family. But father wasn’t very happy about not being able to help clear their name.

Thinking about it more, I realised that when I thought of the Viscount, there were points where I could not guess what he was thinking. And there were a few chilly glares. (Zuben: Because you were attacking then befriending his baby)

I suppose he was wary because not only was he looked down upon for being an entrepreneur, there were clubs and places he wasn’t allowed admittance.

‘When I heard that Cajes had asked for his daughter’s hand in marriage and he accepted, I was a bit wary. Though I had no intention of stopping it, I was really worried that it was with Cajes…’

My father looked bitter as he rubbed his face as though he was thinking of something distasteful. Seeing him like this, I was surprised. I felt a sense of relief that he also had things he was unsure about.

‘The union of Cajés who was a senior Lord and Viscount Castley, whom one never knows what he’s thinking...Anyway, I’m just glad things have turned out the way they have and she’s marrying Volker.’ (Zuben: So that’s why he went to the house of lords…)

Remembering my anger at her for “ensnaring” Uncle, I was contrite. I quickly bowed to my father in apology.

‘I apologise for my careless actions today. I did not know. I apologise, your Majesty.’

But my father waved me into the chair before his desk,

‘It’s fine now, isn’t it? You’ve become friends with the Castley girl. Don’t be rude from now on. But don’t overdo it either. Balance. Understand?’

‘Yes, sir.’

The King allowed me to return to my room, since it was late, but I didn’t feel like it. Today, I wanted to spend time with my father, who was very different from the usual his Majesty.

‘Father?’

He looked up from the document he had picked up.

‘How about I assist you tonight? We can quickly finish up and have a drink together after.’

I had never initiated having a drink with my father before. I always kept a distance, taking care not to interfere with my father, especially after being crowned heir in waiting. But for some reason today, I wanted to do something different.

My father tilted his head at me in thought for a short while before replying,

‘Sure.’

He handed me a few documents to look over, ‘Read through this, arrange them in the order of urgency, and write summaries of their content. I need them for the meeting tomorrow.’

I balked at the thickness of the documents, ‘I don’t think we’ll have time to have a drink after this.’ I said.

‘We will,’ he replied jovially, ‘We’ll just have less sleep.’ His crooked smile was soft.

His face was so similar to mine. I returned the smile and got to work. 

 

Volker and Daryl 

I sighed several times today, watching the guards. The atmosphere was strangely unpleasant. Why was I guarding a ball for unmarried aristocratic children? Most of the attendees of the ball were probably sixteen or seventeen. High ranking onee would already be betrothed.

I should be relaxing with a class of something in my study poring over the training schedules for next month, making sure everything was ship-shape.

I sighed again…

‘Volker, are you free tonight?’ Darryl Breslin, the Western General and my friend asked me, ‘Could you take over security of the eminents’ ball tonight?’

He laughed as he suggested I might meet one or two ladies of my liking.

I usually didn’t show my true feelings to others, but somehow, I could never hide from Darryl. I frowned.

‘No, I am not free. You’re not foisting that one on me.’

But he put his hand on his head and twirled dramatically, ‘But I haven’t drafted the training schedule yet. And I need to sort out my budget to submit to the lords. What should I do?’

This was not unusual for Breslin.

The budget request that had to be submitted tomorrow hadn’t been drafted? I suddenly pitied his aides.

I sighed and said, ‘I’ll do it this time. Make sure you submit your draft on time.’

Breslin screamed like a little girl, ‘Thank you, Volker! I love you!’

‘That’s creepy.’

If I hadn’t capitulated then, I would be a happy man right now. I shook my head trying to get maudlin thoughts out, turned…

And bumped into a fairy.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mo Yan in the Book 1 - 3 (H)

Frangipani 1 - 2 (h)

Mo Yan in the Book 16 - 20 (H, 3P)