Presenting: The Villian Proposed

Image
RiMA - PIXIV Presenting a new novel, raws provided by jasmine🌸, Aa88 and manhwalover. I hail the consortium! Blurb: Lady Regina Bellua happens upon a murder one fateful evening and sees the killer. The killer is none other than Society's darling, the Duke of Greroy, Arsene Greroy.  And he saw her...

Cinderella Did Not Leave Her Shoe - Side Story I

 

SUKJA - pixiv

Let’s go on a date 1:  

‘Master, I’ve got word that the sword maintenance is done.’ I overheard Xavier whisper to Volker.

He had just returned home from work and we were having tea together.

It was just sword maintenance, why was he being secretive?

‘Did you send the sword to a blacksmith?’

‘Yes. They’re done.’

Volker seemed reluctant to talk about it. He looked tired, but he told Xavier that he would go the next day.

Was it so troublesome to get a sword?

‘Is it difficult to go and see the blacksmith? If you’re too busy, why don’t I go?’ I suggested.

‘No!’ Volker said vehemently.

‘You can’t!’ Xavier added.

‘I didn’t mean to shout, but Dagtering is dangerous.’

Dagtering is dangerous…?

‘If that is the case, why don’t we have someone else go?’

In my mind, imagining Volker doing things that he didn’t like or was troublesome. It was new! It made me a little happy.

‘No, I have to go myself. I don’t want someone else to have to experience that demon.’

‘Can I go with you, Volker?’ I asked. I could go and pick him up after work and we could go to the blacksmith together. Walking hand in hand with Volker…

‘But…’ Volker tried to protest.

‘But I think it would be fun walking around the city with you, don’t you?’

The day after was a rest day, so it was alright to come back home a little late.

Though he looked pained, Volker nodded.

Xavier had an “Oh dear,” look on his face.



The next day, we rode on the carriage to the castle. I was dressed in a carriage dress that didn’t have many ribbons or lace, so that it wouldn't get caught in the smithy’s work. I wanted to make a good impression as Volker’s wife. My accessories were also small, and my hair was tied up in a neat bun.

‘Miss, your atmosphere today is very different.’ Marie commented as they rode one, ‘It’s good to entertain the master with a different feeling!’

Marie is always reliable, I thought. I wondered if Marie had someone she liked. I decided to ask Marie about it later.

When they arrived at the castle, we greeted the guards as we went to Volker’s office. He had informed them of my arrival, so I was taken up right way.

I knocked on the door to his office, and Nicolo answered.

‘Good afternoon, Madam.’

‘Hello, Mr Nicolo. Thank you for always looking after Volker.’

As I finished my greeting, Volker came and lifted her up.

‘Fredericka, you’re here’ he said before giving me a peck on the lips.

‘Today’s beauty is different from usual. So cute.’ He kissed both my cheeks and my lips again.

Volker, I like this, but Nicolo is here. Please hold back a little.

‘Nicolo, I’ll be going.’ he said to his aide.

He was already ready to go. Volker raised his hand in farewell to Nicolo, before putting his hand around my waist and leading me out.

Nicolo bowed shortly, ‘Good day, sir. Good luck.’ he murmured before the door closed.

Good luck?! Who is this Dagtering? Were they dangerous? I was suddenly worried, but I felt with Volker beside me, things should be fine.

‘Let’s go to Dagtering’s first, then we can stroll about the city.’

Volker’s troubled mind seemed to have disappeared completely, it seemed he was looking forward to walking around the city more than getting his sword back.

I did tag along with that intention, so I didn’t mind.

‘I’m looking forward to it.’ I said. I was excited about the shops and places I wanted to visit. Volker listened happily at my chatter. We soon arrived at the market.

We alighted from the carriage.

‘Have fun shopping, Miss!’ Marie said, closing the carriage door after us and waving as the carriage drove off.

Huh? Wasn’t the carriage waiting for us to go home?

‘Aren’t we staying in town today?’ Volker said with a bright wolfish smile.

Ah, have you been looking forward to it so much?

Volker! I was a bit embarrassed and happily clung to his arm as I shyly hid my face.

Volker laughed at me.

Volker entered a workshop with no noticeable signage. Was it okay to just wander in? I wondered as I silently followed.

Inside, it was cluttered and there was no one around. It didn’t look like a shop that did a lot of business because there were no apprentices about. It was rather unusual. Castley had metallurgy businesses, it was more profitable that smithing.

Volker called out over the pile of things, ‘Dagtering, I’m here to pick up my sword.’

‘I’m not giving swords to a man who flirts in front of my store.’ Someone snarled from the back.


Let's go on a date! 2: 

Although the tone was rough, a woman rose from behind the counter. She was wearing rough work clothes, but her appearance was outstanding. She had long shiny hair tied up in a ponytail, slanted sapphire eyes with a sharp sword like gaze. She was so sexy, I couldn’t take my eyes off her.

But there was something behind the sharpness. I couldn’t stop looking at her.

‘Brennan, I heard you got married. Is this her? What trick did you use to catch her?’

When she pointed at me, I suddenly realised I had just been gawking and hadn’t said hello.

‘Dagtering, don’t say weird things.’

‘Fredericka, this is Dagtering. She has a terrible attitude and a potty mouth, but she’s good with swords.’

‘I- I’m Fredericka, nice to meet you.’ I politely curtseyed, ‘thank you for taking care of Volker’s sword.’

‘Oi Brennan, I’m sure you’re happy to have a young wife, but it’s annoying to see you flirting out in public. It should be outlawed.’

Well, I couldn’t deny we had been in our world of two. But we had indeed been standing in the way at the door, so it would be annoying. We should be more careful.

‘I’m so sorry to be annoying. I’ll be more careful. I go and reflect outside until Volker is finished. I am really sorry.’ I said hurriedly.

But Dagtering caught my hand, ‘Wait wait. You’re such a cute little thing, aren’t you Fredericka?’

Her sapphire eyes narrowed in a smile, that was somewhat familiar but Volker pulled me back from her. (Zuben: Before his wifey falls for another woman. Although, I think it’s too late)

‘Don’t be stupid. Fredericka is cute even if you look from afar. If you look too much, you’ll go blind.’

No one will go blind.

I was about to remember something.

In Volker’s arms, I looked pitiful. Dagtering burst out laughing.

‘You’re so interesting. Would you like sweets?’

I looked up at Volker looking in askance, can I go? He patted my head looking pompous.

Dagtering pointed her thumb to Volker’s sword in its sheath that was just propped up on the work desk against the wall.

Volker picked it up and went out another way.

‘I scare most women because I look angry. It’s the first time a cute one like you has looked me in the eyes and said hello.’

She handed me a tray of little balls of sweets. I picked up a pink one and put it in my mouth. It was sweet and tart.

‘You don’t look angry at all. Your eyes are so beautiful. These are delicious!’ I said. I may be presumptuous but Dagtering laughed and stuffed more sweets into my mouth.

‘Why did a sweet child like you marry Brennan?’

What’s wrong with Brennan?

I found that my cheeks were too full of sweets.

‘Isn’t he too serious and boring? All he does is work. You’re still young, you shouldn’t be tied to an old guy like him…’ (Zuben: Marry me instead.)

I couldn’t hold it and bit into the hard candies in my mouth. They shattered easily because they had already begun to melt in my mouth. But the shock ran through my teeth,

‘Pardon me, Ms Dagtering,’ I said, raising my hand to get her attention after swallowing all the candy.

I thought I might be rude, but she didn’t mind. She leaned towards me.

‘As his wife, I think Volker’s earnestness and dedication to work are virtues. He’s also witty and considerate. He’s a perfect husband, he’s wasted on me…’ I had intended to laugh, but my head was getting hot. I wanted to stay calm, but unfortunately, the controls weren’t working.

‘Volker should have married a nicer wife, but he chose a cheeky little girl like me…’

Oh no, there was blood rushing up my head, my lacrimal glands were opening and tears were beginning to fill. (Zuben: Author, you could have just said tear ducts, yah?)

I took a deep breath trying to hold it back, but my lips were trembling and I couldn’t say anything.

I know Ms Dagtering didn’t mean it, she was only joking. They had been friends for a long time, but...

I burst out crying.

When someone talks about Volker like that I...get sad!

I’m such a disappointment. I am the wife of a General? I shouldn’t cry at a joke. I’m sure Ms Dagtering is also shocked.

‘I’m sorry…’ I said between sobs as I tried to wipe my tears and calm down. But Ms Dagtering hugged me, and my face was placed on the glamorous bust. My face turned red.

Oh dear!

Gyumu~』『 gyumu~My face was pressed against the soft flesh. What is this overwhelming happiness?!

‘I’m sorry, I was insensitive. When I heard he had suddenly gotten married, I thought that you were forced into it. But I see that you really love him, and you guys really thought about it.’

‘Brennan is a good guy,’ Ms Dagtering said patting my head, ‘you do have a good husband.’

The sad tears receded because of her tender hands that consoled me. But a different sort of crying began.

Higu~Ms Dagtering, Im sorry.

I hiccupped as I spoke.

‘I’m glad your tears have stopped.’ she laughed as she patted my back.

Thank you very much!

‘Such a helpless child.’ she said.

She gave me a cold towel to cool my eyes, and then a crispy pretzel. I wanted to eat it by myself, but Ms Dagtering wanted to feed me.

As I chewed on the pretzel she held out for me, she laughed,

‘You look like a squirrel or a rabbit?’

A little rodent? Are they mammals?

‘Dagtering, the sword is fine. Frederica, I’m sorry I…’

‘Ah…’

Seeing his little rodent (provisionally) being fed, a deep groove developed between Volker’s brows. (Zuben: Dagtering has beat him to something, hasn’t she?) It was the sort of face man would make when he found his wife having a secret tryst with her lover.

I rushed up to Volker and hugged him like he was hugging his sword.

‘Let’s go on our date!’

‘...’

With a happy but complicated expression, Volker paid for the maintenance and proceeded to lead me out of the shop. Ms Dagtering came and shook my hand before we left. I left with all my might. (Zuben: Oh Fredericka…)

We walked down the street hand in hand.

‘Fredericka…’ Volker called, looking put upon.

It looks like he was upset about Ms Dagtering feeding me.

‘Yes, what is the matter, Volker?’ I looked up at him with an innocent smile. But he looked down at me sadly.

‘I thought I was the only one who could feed you by hand…’

Did I hear that correctly?! Not the strange cheating scene, but the owner is shocked because the little rodent (provisionally) was fond of others, and allowed them to feed her. Husband-sama, why are you like this?!

Let’s say, ‘I swear I will no longer be fed by anyone other than you, Volker. Why don’t we go there?’

I pointed to a cute looking cafe. It was better to overwrite the information as soon as possible.

‘Let’s have something sweet, and you can feed me.’ I pulled him along.

I pushed the door and the door chime rang. A waiter came out right away.

‘Hello, welcome. My name is…’ The waiter’s smile got stuck when he saw Volker. Certainly, military people like Volker did not come to little cafes like this one, with items on the menu like, “Kuma’s fluffy honey pancakes” or “Tricolour neko ice-cream and “Forest kuro kuro set”.

But we are in plain clothes. Volker really looks nice in plain clothes. Next time, I’ll come with Pricilla and the girls.

‘Hello, do you have a private room for two?’ I asked cheerfully.

‘Er yes, right at the back.’ he said regaining his composure. His smile didn't falter again as he led us to the private dining room. We had to walk through the crowded main dining area to get to the room, so the eyes could not help seeing and the tongues could not help wagging. If this were a more upscale guest house or restaurant, there would be a private entrance for aristocrats, but since this was just a small cafe in the middle of town, we had no choice but to forge onwards and die. (Zuben: Metaphorically)

‘I will bring the menu right away.’ The waiter said with a bow and he briskly went off. Volker sat down gingerly, the chairs were small. He had to shift his seat a few times to get comfortable.

‘Is it a private room or a semi-private one.’ Volker said with a whisper. He was unusually sheepish. Sometimes, he was just too cute, I can’t help myself.

‘Yes, the private rooms in such a cafe look like this. But people can’t see who is inside unless they look through.

Wasn’t this enough? I laughed at Volker’s groaning.

‘Sometimes, I have lunch with your father like this.’ he told me.

Is that so?

When the menu was presented, Volker read it and raised a white flag. He ordered coffee. I ordered “Yuki Usagi’s Pure White pancakes” and tea.

When it arrived, it was an amazing meringue that was shaped like a white rabbit, with vanilla ice-cream skilfully shaped like feet atop a pile of pancakes smothered with whipped cream. My heaven!

I had an imagination that this rabbit was a resident of the same world as a fairy tale carriage. It looked very sweet, and I was soft and flabby under the table, but I ordered it, I have to eat it.

When the dish was placed before me, I told the waiter, ‘Sorry, please put it in front of him.’

After all, I came here to do “Ah” and be fed.

The waiter’s eyes became white with black dots as he went into shock; Volker and white rabbit pancakes were too much for him.

Volker covered his face with his hand. (Zuben: There, there, Volker)

Oh dear. Teehee! I rose and took the dish from the waiter and placed it before Volker. The waiter smiled and quickly left while saying,

‘Enjoy yourselves.’

After seeing him off with a smile, I leaned closer to Volker,

‘I’m sorry, Volker. He may have...misunderstood.’

Just then, I heard a female voice saying, ‘The boyfriend? You’re kidding?!’

My! My! Girls send rumours faster than the speed of light.

I had a sweat drop.

But Volker sighed and said, ‘It’s alright, it might even change the idea that I am a straight laced, stubborn general.’

Oh, Volker is so kind. Hm, but then he may start to be known as General Sweets or General Fancy…

I was suddenly depressed.

Volker put the dish in the middle of the table, and cut the pancake and meringue into bite sized pieces with the knife and fork.

‘Open your mouth, Fredericka.’

Ah~ I can’t be depressed; today’s big event has begun! I leaned forward and opened my mouth.

‘Hay! Ah...ngu?!’

Wasn’t this a bit too big, Volker?! The edge of the pancake was caught in my mouth, and the cream dripped down my lip. I chewed and tried to swallow, but I couldn’t keep the cream from dripping from the edge of my lips.

‘Volker, that was too big.’ I wiped the cream from the edge of my mouth with a napkin. I was a little embarrassed; Volker was like a child sometimes. But when I looked at him with the napkin over my mouth, he was leaning forward staring intently at me. His ears were red. What was wrong?

‘Was it hard to swallow? Let’s make it a bit smaller.’ He cut the pancakes up in a haphazard manner. He carefully put lots of cream with the pancake and presented it.

‘Ah un mugu!’ This time I was able to eat it without dropping the cream. Awesome! I gave him a big smile, but he had a slightly lonesome expression. (Zuben: He wants puff puff cheeks)

Why?



Comments

  1. You rock Zuben! I love this ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I read this back in 2018 and only remembered now when I stumbled upon the manga adaptation! Not sure if I left comments back then, my apologies. 😅 Thank you so much for translating this series! I loved your side-comments so much; I don't know why people complained about it. It's so hilarious haha - and it usually echoes what I'm thinking too! And I also appreciate them since I'm kinda slow on the uptake, so like here at the end where Volker looked disappointed, I didn't understand why until I reached your comment about the puff puff cheeks. 😂

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just my oponion, please pardon me

    I likes your comment and usually i do read tl commentary, and ur comment is so natural that i think Its part of the story'😂
    Well Its already done so no problem, maybe next time u put comment i hope u make the font/color/size different so we didnt mistook it as part of the story', coz in some part your comment males the paragraph have different meaning so i need to read it many Times

    Sorry and thank for the hard work

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Dear reader, please don't be alarmed your comment doesn't appear right away. Comments are moderated. Your comment will appear within twenty four hours.

Popular posts from this blog

Mo Yan in the Book 1 - 3 (H)

Frangipani 1 - 2 (h)

Mo Yan in the Book 16 - 20 (H, 3P)