Presenting: The Villian Proposed

Image
RiMA - PIXIV Presenting a new novel, raws provided by jasmine🌸, Aa88 and manhwalover. I hail the consortium! Blurb: Lady Regina Bellua happens upon a murder one fateful evening and sees the killer. The killer is none other than Society's darling, the Duke of Greroy, Arsene Greroy.  And he saw her...

Yasashī Shinjitsu to Seiryaku Kekkon Volume 2 Chapter 19



"Fruit Bowl w/ Flowers" -- Half Century -- Jan Davidsz de Heem 


She was about to say something then she remembered.

Why did not she understand? No, she supposed it couldn’t be understood.

He had a long fringe covering his face and was pretty expressionless and did not talk much,

‘Oh, did you remember?’ he smiled happily.

Somehow, she felt a bit weak so Matilda carried on eating,

‘Would you like to eat the last loaf of bread?’ she asked, noting the single loaf in the basket

‘Yes, please.’ He replied as he reached for it.

‘Was it such a strange question?’

Leandro tore the soft bread and ate a piece,

‘I suppose it is strange since I am being asked whether it is a natural occurrence rather than a strange one…’

She cast her mind back to those days, remembering the feelings.

‘Wasn't it…okay?’

He laughed, but his laugher was cold.

‘It was a shock to me.’

‘Huh?’

‘As you know, Barenshiaga was at war with the neighbouring countries south east and south west. The war was long and the Elder Emperor, my father was participating.’

‘I see,’

‘The Elder Emperor is a person who likes warring, so he hires lots of mercenary companies. So he warred with the Eastern Mountain regions and the Western River regions up until a year ago,’

‘Yes, I heard.’

She had heard that Leandroth had reached the age of twenty-seven and was still single because of the prolonged war being waged against the two nations. It had been rumoured that he’d said, while domestic affairs were not calm he had no intention of getting married.

‘While, growing up, I have been going back and forth between war campaigns and the Palace. In the palace, the Empress raised us strictly; she did not want us to have sloppy manners from spending too much time with mercenaries and soldiers and disgracing our royal lineage. There was nothing patriotic about it.’

Leandroth paused as he took the last sip of his soup and cut a piece of his pork with his knife and fork a little too forcefully,

‘I wondered why I was born to this guy, and why did I have to work so hard.’

Now the elder Emperor has become “this guy”, but it seemed reasonable reason somehow.

‘And then I met you… “Do I need a reason to love it?’ …for some reason, it shook my heart...’

...


Before the summer sun began to melt the snow on the mountains of Icecoreta

She had come to see to the well being of the mercenaries and soldiers.

‘Why is a girl like you coming to a war zone?’

‘I come on behalf of our King.’

‘Aren't you afraid?’

‘I am the one most protected by everyone, if I am afraid, the soldiers will be even more afraid.’
He looked at the ten Royal Knights that stood just behind the Princess, and then looked back down at her,

‘Your hands are trembling,’

‘…I am just shivering from the cold.’

A ghost of a smile appeared on his face.

The red haired young man called Ross, ‘Do you love this country?’

‘I love it.’ She answered without hesitation, a face full of smiles
.
‘Why do you love it?’

‘Do I need a reason to love it?’ she replied, tilting her head

The young man stared at her, silent.

...

She had been eighteen when they had that conversation. Both of her brothers were already born…
She thought that her brothers were cute, but she felt that she could not be honest so as not to be misunderstood by her step-mother (Zuben: what is wrong with thinking your siblings are cute.)

There were many emotions swirling within her heart, but the feelings she had for her father and Icecoreta did not change.

She felt like she was going to burst from her feelings for her father, but she reminded herself that she felt sunny and happy when she did her best for her father (Zuben: daddy complex MAX!)

‘Many things had been troublesome, but when I heard your words, they were blown away. And I decided to take the throne.’

‘Eh?’

‘I told you that I wanted you for a long time, but I didn’t want to say anything while I was still a mercenary.’

‘Why?’ she asked tilting her head.

‘Just to get a glimpse of you, almost every year I joined the mercenaries on the mountain border campaign that broke out from winter to early summer.’

He seemed to be a cowardly man who is pursuing a woman, yet does not do anything about it.
Leandroth rested his temple on his hand and his gaze became distant,

‘During that time; what about your country?’

‘Oh, I let my father and brother deal with it.’

‘Leann is the crown prince, right?’

‘And now you’re the Emperor, aren’t you?’

Her head hurt. She wondered if it was okay to have a Crown Prince like this. Then again, it seemed like it was alright, the Barenshiaga Empire was still in existence, despite everything.

‘Because of you, I agreed to take the throne. Because of you, I am trying very hard to maintain the peace.’ He said solemnly.

He washed his hands in a bowl of water, and reached for the fruit bowl.

‘Is that true?’ She asked, opening her eyes (Zuben: why were they closed?) Should she say she was happy? Should she tell him she loved him.

She did not understand what was going on inside her heart; feelings are so messy. (Zuben: Truff!)

‘So what if I want jewels and enough dresses to fill a warship, and I want to go to balls every night and do whatever? Are you crazy enough about me to make it all come true?’ She asked without thinking, she looked dismayed as she stuck her own forehead.

‘If I have the budget, and if that is what Mattie wants, I can do that. But I would prefer to use the funds for war orphans, social reforms, war preparations, government projects and so on.’

‘Oh of course, those are priority surely?’ she replied nodding. Their eyes met. She felt somewhat strange as she wondered whether she was being manipulated by this person.

‘Don’t you think?’ She began to feel happy as she gave a proud smile, but she could feel her face heat up,

‘I don’t think so.’ He said

‘What?’

‘I want to live for myself. That is what I truly want in my heart.’

‘What are you…?’

‘You seem to be misunderstanding. I’ll tell you, I am not kind to anyone other than you.’

‘That is a…’

‘I did not fire the Grand Chamberlain earlier because he was useful in other areas; of course I began to regret it later.’

She could see it in his eyes, the future of that Grand Chamberlain was going to be dark.

‘Even so…’

‘Do you really want lots of jewellery?’ Leann asked with one of his cold smiles as he peeled an orange.

‘Jewellery?’

‘Women like them a lot, don’t they?’

‘No, I don’t need it.’ She said honestly, ‘A fresh orange, a ripe peach, a red apple, a chestnut that is rolling in the forest. A walnut, an acorn, a fresh green sparkling leaf, a flower that seems to be a fruit ... those things are more beautiful and last longer than a cold stones.’

‘Is that so? Well if you want it, I will prepare them.’ He said smiling faintly, but the smile was lacking. It did not look like it was from the heart

Matilda gazed at his hand.

‘After all, can I eat one?’

‘What?’

Ignoring his stupid expression, she bit into the orange in his hand.

‘Ah!!’ He said in surprise, and that awful smile was wiped from his face. She ate the orange happily.

‘Once upon a time, I asked a jeweller to make jewellery that looked like cut open orange, because I thought it was beautiful. But the craftsman refused, the beauty of nature’s blessing in fruits and the beauty of nature in jewels are different things. I was told that it would be useless to try and replicate one in the other.’ (Zuben: A talented craftsman with time can do it, but whatevers.)

She washed her hands and picked an orange and peeled the skin off. She put it into his hand.
 Leandroth remained stiff.

‘Leann, was the last orange that good? I am sorry.’

She looked up at him, and Leandroth ate the orange and pressed his lips against hers.



Zuben: 🌅 People complain about the weather too much. It is what it is...

Let me know if there any typos. I'm sure there will be.


Comments

  1. Leann is telling hr how he came to love her ...it was a long time ago.Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Popular posts from this blog

Mo Yan in the Book 1 - 3 (H)

Frangipani 1 - 2 (h)

Mo Yan in the Book 16 - 20 (H, 3P)