Presenting: The Villian Proposed

Image
RiMA - PIXIV Presenting a new novel, raws provided by jasmine🌸, Aa88 and manhwalover. I hail the consortium! Blurb: Lady Regina Bellua happens upon a murder one fateful evening and sees the killer. The killer is none other than Society's darling, the Duke of Greroy, Arsene Greroy.  And he saw her...

Please Be More Serious Chapters 47 & 48

Pintrest

Discontent:

Zhengqing arrived at work on Monday in a not so good mood and he was not able to hide it. (Zuben: Dude is horny)
 Nothing bad happened, Yin Ting had text him good morning, the day was bright and blue, the sun was warm, even the Monday morning meeting reports were good but Zhengqing’s demeanour was cool.
His mood was so low, his expression was dark. He spoke stoically and firmly making everyone who attended the meeting nervous.
After the meeting, Manager Chen, pushed by everyone, came over to ask Zhengqing what was up. Chen did not feel like he was the best candidate for this, he felt that Zhengqing’s secretary was more appropriate, but she refused saying,
‘I am a woman and Qiu Zong’s secretary. He could misunderstand that I am interested in him. What if I get reported for sexual harassment in the work place? I’m not going.’ (Zuben: Isn’t that an exaggeration?)
He turned to Zhengqing’s personal assistant who also refused saying, ‘No, if I go and ask, then make him even more unhappy, my work would be affected. Manager Chen you have a high position, and Qiu VP gives you face. Furthermore, if VP Qiu is not happy about something later, I can quickly get the secret information to you.’
Well, that was fine, but what would he say to him? Everyone stared eagerly at Manager Chen, because everyone cared!
Truthfully, it was because they wanted gossip. Manager Chen himself liked to gossip. Especially since VP Qiu fell in love, he began to have a touch of humanity in him, he laughed, and he was soft and gentle and got off work early!
The very right and serious VP changed to a gentle person, he did not work overtime (Zuben: Might I remind everyone that it has only been just under a week?) which shocked the upper management. Everyone had been curious. Tingting yuli 413 really had skill. She caught VP Qiu and changed him. But it seemed that the VP has reverted. Why?
The people want to know!
The colleagues standing behind Manager Chen had the flames of anticipation in their eyes for juicy gossip. So Manager Chen broached the dragon’s lair with the guise of talking business,
After their discussion, Manager Chen tentatively asked, ‘VP Qiu doesn’t seem very happy today. How are things at home, anything we can do to help?’
Zhengqing looked up from the documents he was perusing at Manager Chen. They must want gossip. But have they reached the point where they gossip together?
‘Nothing is the matter, I am fine.’
‘Was something in today’s meeting unsatisfactory?’
‘No, everyone’s performance was good this month.’
What is it then? Why does he have that serious face? Manager Chen did not have the liver to directly ask whether he quarrelled with his girlfriend. So he said, ‘Tingting Yuli hasn’t been here in a while,’ it was a stylish way to ask.
Zhengqing frowned, ‘Manager Chen, Xiaoting is my girlfriend.’ (Zuben: This is why the whole world should not know your business)
‘Yes ah,’ he knew that! He did was not interested in taking his precious girlfriend. The he looked at Zhengqing’s face, ‘Oh so that’s it,’ he said, ‘I understand now.’
What did he understand? Zhengqing was confused, ‘I did not quarrel with Xiaoting.’
‘Yes, yes,’ It was in line with his speculations (Zuben: That VP is horny?), he really understood. Now that he’d succeeded in sussing out what was wrong with the VP, he said goodbye and left.
Later in the afternoon, Zhengqing went to the break room to get some tea when he overheard a colleague complaining to another about Zhengqing, he’d been asked to redo a proposal for the next quarter,
‘It was a good proposal; I shouldn’t have had to redo it. Especially since New Year holiday is coming. (Zuben: Hold on, is it February already? 1), I hurried to adjust and finish it. But VP Qiu rejected it; it must be because he is discontent. If I had given him last week, when his mood was good, there would not have been an issue.’ (Zuben: Lazy idiot)
Zhengqing was confused; who was discontent?
At this moment, the two colleagues came out of the break room and saw him,
Zhengqing glowered, ‘First of all, your proposal was unrealistic. Someone in your section should have gone to the store and had a meeting. The report should be based on the previous year’s earnings from around the New Year, then the increase in purchasing around the Spring Festival and then based on projections from advertising. Why is the second quarter so high? What data did you analyse for this? The budget for advertising was baseless. Your plan did not convince me. No matter how I feel, this is my professional judgement, it will not change.’
The both of them were speechless. They did not dare move. The offending colleague nodded vigorously,
‘Make a proper plan ahead of time. Don’t write proposals casually. And, I am not discontent!’ With that Zhengqing entered the break room, and the two ran back to their desks. When Zhengqing returned to his office, the main office was quiet, especially austere. As soon as he entered his office, everyone relaxed. He was definitely discontent!
At six thirty, Zhengqing’s alarm rang. He thought about clocking off, but he had so much work to finish and some of the time had been taken overseeing another subordinate’s work. Because of the coming vacation, everyone was getting lax. And because of the vacation, he needed to get as much done as possible.
Zhengqing thought that he had scolded his subordinate, he should also be a model example (Zuben: You shouldn’t bother, dear) There were too many things to finish; he would not be able to peacefully have dinner with Xiaoting. (Zuben: Shoulda told her before six thirty though)
Zhengqing remembered that Yin Ting said he could ask for leave, so he called her,
‘Are you on your way back?’ she asked perkily,
‘Ah, no,’ He said, it wasn’t easy for him to say. ‘I have a lot of work today, I can’t get away early.’
‘Oh,’ Yin Ting said suddenly dispirited.
Zhengqing scratched his forehead as he said, ‘Because of New Year, there is a lot of work to be done before the holiday and then there is the Spring Festival, this a very busy time for us. I am sorry; I will be coming home late,’
‘It’s alright,’ she said with a sigh, ‘You’re busy, it can’t be helped. I will order dinner so you won’t have to think about it when you get home.’
‘Okay,’ he replied obediently,
‘I won’t keep you since you are busy. I won’t wait for you either, so you can work without worry.’ Yin Ting said as she looked sadly at the dinner she was setting out.
‘Oh you could watch TV and play with Miao-dada while waiting for me,’ he said tentatively. (Zuben: wait for whose ghost?!)
‘No. I don’t want you to be worried while you are working. And you will be tired from working overtime and you will want to drive me back home. I don’t want that. Feel at ease. And make sure you have a snack,’
‘I will order something,’ he promised, ‘Be careful going home,’
‘Will do. Later,’ she said and hung up. She sighed sadly as she put her phone away. She tried to eat a bit, but she couldn’t. It was too boring, ah. She would go home to eat with her dad.
She put the dishes in the refrigerator, washed the dishes she’d already used and fed the cat.
Yin Ting returned home just after dinner. Her father was watching TV when she entered,
‘Have you eaten?’ he said surprised to see her. Didn’t she say she was going to be late home because she was having dinner with Qiu Zhengqing?
‘Haven’t eaten. He wasn’t able to come back, he’s working overtime. So I came home to eat. Has brother gone to the bar?’
Guohao called to their housekeeper to serve Yin Ting something to eat, but Yin Ting went to the kitchen and asked Aunty to teach her to cook something.
‘You should have told me you were coming back; I would have waited for you.’ Her father said,
Yin Ting laughed, ‘You can eat what I cook with me,’
‘Good, Dad will eat with you,’ Guohao said as he watched Yin Ting add salt to the meal she was making. He did not need to taste to know the soup needed more salt,
‘Wouldn’t it be too salty?’ She asked,
‘Add a little more,’ their housekeeper said,
Yin Tin tasted it soup, it was really salty, ‘I should add water,’ she said decisively pouring water into the soup.
Their housekeeper smiled and said, ‘It won’t be tasty that way,’
‘The water would boil off,’ Yin Ting replied, (Zuben: Are you sure you want to learn how to cook, dear?)
Guohao wondered if this was going to be alright.
‘Dad, do you still have the number of that driving school teacher friend of yours? Introduce him to me again,’
‘Why?’ Guohao asked, he thought he was developing a headache, ‘You want to learn to drive? I thought you gave up on that? Didn’t you say that you want to preserve the lives of the pedestrians and other drivers?’
‘I want to try again,’
‘I don’t know the full number of driving schools that have been affected by your scourge. If I called one of them to book you in, they will all go on sick leave.’
‘Dad! Don’t exaggerate!’ Tingting said unconvinced. The driving instructors were just too stiff and they had been frightened by her older brother into being prejudiced against her skills. Okay so she wasn’t good with mechanics, actually it should be more like; she lacked inspiration in this aspect of life. (Zuben: All you have to know is how to change your brake oil and tyres, right? Anything else, tow to the mechanic. No?) But she really wanted to learn properly now. She wanted to be able to go and pick up Zhengqing after a tiring day at work, and she didn’t want him to have to drop her off home either. If she could drive, she would save him a lot of trouble.
‘You forget you got your driving license with great difficulty, I don’t feel assured that you can drive. You just want to drive Zhengqing after work.’ Guohao said
And drive very coolly. Do a drift park in front of Zhengqing and say “No time to explain, get in the car!” plot. She laughed stupidly at her imaginary play.
Guohao poked at his daughter’s head but also laughed at her foolishness.
That evening around ten, Zhengqing called Yin Ting.
‘It’s so late. Kiss Kiss, then kiss miao dada, bathe and sleep,’
‘Um. What are you up to?’
‘I am doing things I like.’
‘What kind of things you like?’
‘My interests are very broad. Right, did you finish work? Because, if you haven’t, it’s okay, I won’t be able to meet up tomorrow. I have to meet my friends tomorrow or they will be unhappy. Then we can spend lots of time together on the New Year holiday,’
‘You’re not coming tomorrow? I thought I only got a penalty if I don’t warn you before-hand.’ Zhengqing said unhappily.
‘But you didn’t warn me before hand, you told me at six thirty when I had already bought dinner. Oh the food is in the fridge.’
‘But I want to see you,’
‘There is no chance tomorrow.’
‘Very well. But this should offset something else,’
‘Haha, okay.’
He was counting her leave from him as well. She laughed, she had thought he would be too busy to think about things like that, but both of them were being reasonable. He was taking opportunities when he could to increase his chips.
‘I am very generous. Go and bathe and sleep.’
Zhengqing agreed and hung up. He went to his study to put some money in the drawer for Yin Ting. When he opened the drawer to find a folder, very much Yin Ting’s style. He looked into the folder to see what was in it. There was a note: In view of the gift you sent me, I want to give you something similar. Please keep it safe. There is only one in the world. I intend to bind them into a book every year on our anniversary.
The second page was a patterned paper; it looked like Yin Ting had painted it. In the centre she wrote: Love Diary. (Zuben: ¬.¬)
Looks like the planned cover page.
Under that she wrote: Only record the good things.
The third page had a picture of the Yongkai building affixed to it and she had written: I asked Yingjie and Yufei when they think I first met you. I can’t remember, they can’t remember. I think it was sometime in May.
I have been to that building and that floor several times. But I don’t remember seeing you. I should think I would have seen you; after all, it is where you work. But I did not know you and you did not know me. We never left an impression on each other.
Until that day.
That day my goal was Gu Yingjie, but Yu Fei got him. And you sat with him.
What happened on that day was you knew me and I knew you. You thought I was frivolous girl and I thought you were a stiff workaholic.
Even so, we were happy.
In the folder were, Tingting’s scissors and a picture of her smiling. 

[1] The Chinese have four days off in the Gregorian New Year! That is so unfair! Dec 31st till Jan 2nd.



Zhengqing sat on the floor looking at the sheets of paper he’d found; would this be their love diary? He remembered the first time he met Yin Ting. She had come to contrived to meet Gu Yingjie by change that day in the conference room. Yingjie asked if she had come to see Yu Fei, she replied that she had, but Yu Fei wasn’t around. He had thought she was a client of Yu Fei’s, and he was afraid Yu Fei had missed an appointment, and offered to help if she required something.
That had been their first conversation. In May, just over six months ago.
Miao-dada came over wondering what Zhengqing was interested in on the floor. He saw the drawer was open and tried to climb into it. Zhengqing pulled the cat away, and held it on his lap. While stroking the cat’s head, he took his phone and dialled Yin Ting.
The phone rang a few times before Yin Ting answered. He tried to talk and found his throat tight, ‘That day was the 22nd.’
‘What?’ Yin Ting asked.
He cleared his throat and said, ‘We first met on the 22nd of May.’
‘You actually remember?’ she said surprised.
‘Well, it was a meeting with Gu Yingjie.’
‘Oh,’ Yin Ting said a bit dejectedly, he didn’t remember because of romance, he remembered because there was a meeting, ‘Do you have romance contradictory complex?’
‘What is this new term?’
‘When you sent me the picture frame, I was moved to death, then you told me it was a power point presentation. I asked Yu Fei and Yingjie they didn’t remember, but you suddenly called and told me the date, I was so touched and then you poured water on it, when you tell me you had it in your diary.’
‘How should I say it?’
‘You don’t need to say anything. I am just taking note.’
‘I feel I should protest.’
‘Although, I don’t think it is necessary, I would like to know how you would protest.’ She said cheekily, ‘Please protest,’
‘…’ Zhengqing did not know what to say in protest; he decided to take a page from her book and said, ‘I will tell you when I think of the words.’
Yin Ting laughed, ‘Shameless, Mr Qiu. Shameless.’
‘I have been taught bad habits by you,’
‘Do not put all responsibility on me,’
‘I am not shirking my responsibility, you are my responsibility,’
‘Those words are not romantic;’ sighed Yin Ting, ‘really want to hear you say something romantic,’
‘What was wrong with those words?’
‘Responsibility. You are talking about our love like it is duty. Where is the sentiment?’
‘…’ Zhengqing was confused, ‘Where is the conflict between responsibility and sentiment? Logic?’
‘Protest does not want the logic,’
‘What?’ How did this turn into a protest?
‘I gave you a demonstration of the correct way to protest between lovers. You’re welcome,’ Yin Ting said happily. (Zuben is confused)
‘You decided you are not touched by my words but were unable to justify yourself, so found a flimsy excuse to demonstrate protesting,’
‘…I was demonstrating how a couple bickers, did you learn anything?’
‘Your ingenuity is fully reflected.’ He replied drily
She laughed, ‘Very good. There is something to record in the diary for today: We had a boring and interesting couples’ chat.’
‘A boring and interesting couple dialogue; this is a good thing?’
‘Yes, ah, very interesting. Do not mind this. Remember that you worked overtime, did not call me till six thirty when I had already bought dinner?’
Zhengqing was silent; Tingting laughed, ‘Just demonstrating how a lover complains,’
‘I will try to remember to call on time,’
‘And?’ Yin Ting’s voice was soft and made Zhengqing’s heart ache with longing
‘What else is there?’ he asked
‘Most important is if you need to work over time, you can come home and do things. Don’t stay out too late and make your girlfriend worry,’ she said quickly (Zuben: You know he lived before you came along right?), ‘and this is a demonstration of raising a bone of contention.’
‘…’Zhengqing was defeated. Her mind was really strange; everything she said this evening seemed to be a demonstration method. The curriculum was too much to digest all at once. Moreover, the demonstrations were just a way of bringing up old grievances.
‘You would feel relieved that I am not recording unhappy things in the diary.’ She said, ‘I am only recording the good things because they are easy to forget.’
Oh? Were happy times easy to forget?
‘I will write the good things down when we are happy so that when things get difficult we can read thing and remember the good times,’ (Zuben: You can appreciate the good times and still break up, but okay)
‘We can remember all the things that made us love each other.  Hmm on August the 31st, my bicycle chain broke and you drove by and offered to help. You bought be lunch and lent me money. However, I felt that you needed help with dating Huizhu-jie. We were just thinking of helping each other at the time. The weather was nice that day, there were many fluffy clouds. I was chasing a particularly beautiful cloud, but was unable to catch up and then you picked me up.’
As he listened to her, his eyes felt heated.
‘On September the 3rd, I went to your work place to return the money I borrowed and give you the red string. At the time, I thought you most desperately needed help from the god of love or your girlfriend would dump you. But now, I’m your girlfriend! I think you inspiration is quite a lot, although the origin is a little embarrassing. I don’t want to leave you, so I am writing these down so we can last a long time,’
Zhengqing lifted a hand to cover his face. He couldn’t believe that a man like him would nearly be crying listening to his girlfriend. Such a loss of face.
‘On the Autumn Festival, we met the cemetery. My mother and your parents are neighbours; really predestined friends. ‘
‘You gave me a big grapefruit,’ he said, ‘It was the first time I ate such a sweet one. Afterwards, I went to supermarket to buy another and it tasted terrible.’
‘Really?’ She exclaimed.
‘Yes, too sour. I forced myself to eat it every day till it was finished.’
Yin Ting laughed, ‘You’re so stupid.’
‘This is not stupid. I don’t waste food, I won’t throw it away.’
‘If it was too sour, why didn’t you add sugar?’
‘…’ Damn why didn’t he think of that.
‘So stupid,’ she said laughing.
‘I am not stupid,’ he grumbled,
‘I know. I know. You just lack inspiration. I know.’ She said still laughing, then she cried out, ‘I have thought of another riddle: Why is a grapefruit sour?’
Zhengqing sighed, ‘Because you need to add sugar?’
‘Haha! You’re very intelligent. The grapefruit is sour so you can add sugar. Why is love boring? So you can add sugar. Why is life boring, ah? You need to add sugar. If it not sufficient it is because it is not good. You had the opportunity but wasted it. You cannot blame anyone but yourself.’ Yin Ting was jubilant, ‘I must write this down; it is like the chicken soup issue. Please Be More Serious, you are a font of inspiration.’
Zhengqing smiled, ‘Then you must also add for today that I gave you some inspiration.’
‘I am going to write down the chicken soup too, it should be remembered.’ Yin Ting said happily, ‘I thought there was nothing worth noting down for today, but I wound up having lots of things to write. I have to buy you grapefruit to make it up to you.’
‘How many entries have you written?’
‘Six.’
‘How come there is only one in my drawer?’
‘I only just thought of it. I wrote the first entry today. I will leave a couple at yours, and keep a couple, so we both have good memories to remember. What do you think? Is my idea good?’
‘It’s great,’ he said
‘How come you opened the drawer?’
‘I thought there might not be enough money, so I was putting in more.’
‘Really, how nice! I must write this down. You worked so hard today, yet thought of me and things at home. This shows thoughtfulness. It’s all the small things.’
She really was an angel; to put money in the drawer for her was a small thing, but she found something beautiful in that.
‘We must remember the little things, because they are easy to ignore. Let me tell you, I will put one entry in your drawer each day, there is a fear that if I don’t record everything that we would lose it and I would get lazy.  But if I put one in your drawer every day, when you see it you will be happy. And if I am consistent in my recording, and I have lots of entries but it would mean we haven’t seen each other in a while. So I must pay attention. And if there had been nothing to record for a long time, we must pay attention.’
‘Such a profound strategy, only you can think of it.’
‘It’s easy to come up with but hard to stick with. If I get lazy, you need to encourage me. This would give us something in common. Our work and life circle are not linked. We gotta have something we do together, right? I have only just started, but I will continue to work on it. I am going to write all our lovely memories, little and large, and on our first anniversary I will collect all the entries and get it bound. So we would have one for every year we are together.’
‘Every year?’
Every year.’
‘Then I will have to have a special cabinet made for your diaries,’ Zhengqing said.
Yin Ting laughed, that meant they had to be together for a long time, ‘Will we grow old together?’
‘We will,’
Yin Ting laughed some more.
‘I am being serious,’ Zhengqing said. If they could remember all their little moments of determination and perseverance, then how will they break up? He could not think of it, he felt it was impossible.
Yin Ting said, ‘I must write down our first fight. Because a quarrel is not a good matter, but it is commemorating it.’
‘We will not quarrel,’
‘We will definitely quarrel, but I cannot think of a reason we might. Perhaps, you working overtime too much,’
‘Um, are you demonstrating tactful complaining again?’
Yin Ting laughed, ‘I was going to write that down, but forgot. Turned a difficult hindrance to something good, and adhered to the contract.’
‘How did we change something difficult to something good?’ Didn’t she say she was only writing down happy things?
‘Difficult things aren’t, however, if there is a breakthrough to something happy then it must be written down.’
Zhengqing was silent, he could not speak. He felt if she could find a lot of good in the mundane, then she was the most beautiful one. Zhengqing was suddenly fearful, how could he a common mortal love an angel like her?

‘I love you,’ he said finally. He decided to tell her that every day, tell his angel he loved her totally. Though the future was unknowable, he hoped to always let her know he loved her. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mo Yan in the Book 1 - 3 (H)

Mo Yan in the Book 16 - 20 (H, 3P)

Mo Yan in the Book 11 - 15 (H)