Presenting: The Villian Proposed

Image
RiMA - PIXIV Presenting a new novel, raws provided by jasmine🌸, Aa88 and manhwalover. I hail the consortium! Blurb: Lady Regina Bellua happens upon a murder one fateful evening and sees the killer. The killer is none other than Society's darling, the Duke of Greroy, Arsene Greroy.  And he saw her...

Woman Hating Duke 33 - 34


Shortly after I heard my name called, a head of shimmering blonde hair appeared. The Duke entered the room with anxious expression on his face. He pulled me into his arms and I was surrounding by his familiar scent. I wanted to close my eyes and enjoy the feeling, but I remembered,
‘Henry, we need to leave. This room is full of sleeping gas, you’ll be knocked out.’
 Henry looked around and figured out what had happened seeing the big man laid out on the floor. He lifted me in his arms, held his breath as he brought me out. A man wearing a similar coat to Henry was waiting sword in hand, there was the sound of clashing swords upstairs.
‘Put me down, Henry! Is James safe?’ I pushed myself off Henry and stepped down trying to go upstairs.
‘Wait, Julia. My men are securing the second floor.’
‘But!’
I had to comply; his word in this situation was law. I felt uncomfortable not seeing James safe. I could not get the sad and lonely expression he had when I left him earlier out of my mind. I bit my bottom lip anxiously.
‘Julia, you should go with Percy back to the Earl’s manor. We will do our work and we can’t have woman in the way.’
I glared at him as he was glaring at me. I was angry.
‘No! I will stay here and confirm James is safe. I left James alone and ran. I will not return to the mansion without knowing he is alright. You would do the same if it were you!’ (Zuben: Where has the cool head gone?)
Henry did not look at me, but over my head at the man called Percy. It seemed his anger had reached its peak.
‘Miss Julia, please calm down. I am Percy. I understand your feelings but it is dangerous here for a non-combatant. You will threaten the Prince’s safety. Please, let me take you back to the Earl’s mansion.’
‘So you think I am threatening James’ safety?!’ I said arrogantly, folding my arms across my chest, ‘If I am so weak, how did I take out two of the Grusk kidnappers? But you’re so worried about it that you came with so few people?’
Percy’s brown eyes looked agitated; he had not expected a delicate noble lady to refute him. He was ten years too early to win against me. I smiled triumphantly.
The second floor grew silent, and Gordon and two other men came down the stairs.
‘The second floor has been secured, Commander, but no sign of the Prince.’ Gordon reported. He had a gash on his head that was bleeding profusely. (Zuben: If only Julia would tell them that he is in the basement, not in the second floor rather than arguing unnecessarily)
Just then, two other men were back tracking from searching the rest of the ground floor.
‘Your Grace, we have found the Prince but…’
They turned back to where they came from and two princes stood in the corridor. (Zuben: Princes princes, who adore you ) Edward stood behind James with a sword to James neck. When James caught sight of me, he took on a pained expression,
‘Julia, why are you here?’ he cried. 
‘James, I’m alright.’ I don’t know if it could be said that I was alright in this situation, but I was wanted to calm him down. The situation was tense: there were seven spies including His Grace who I was standing behind. (Zuben: Is Henry 007?)
‘You are the dogs of the Bosch,’ Edward said arrogantly, ‘I wonder if the Duke of Magnaria commands these watchdogs. Pretending all these years, tricking your friend for more than twenty years, to raise your career. You are truly elite indeed, Duke. I respect you.’
‘Henry, I didn’t know you were a spy. Did you use me after all? I thought you were my true friend.’ James said looking hurt.  (Zuben: Boohoo, cry a river)
But Henry replied, his face and tone expressionless, ‘Do not listen to this traitor. There is evidence that he had been colluding with the Grusk. We will take him in and deport him to Basseterre where he will be dealt with.’
Edward responded immediately, ‘You men are merely subjects of Bosch. Do you think you will be able to arrest a Prince of Basseterre, a friendly nation, without repercussions! I am of royal blood! James is my brother! I have come to take him back with me to Basseterre. This is a matter of the royal family; you cannot get in the way.’
In his agitation, he drew the blade closer to James’ neck drawing a thin line of blood.
Henry ignored Edward, and said to James harshly, ‘James, get a hold of yourself. You can take the sword from him.’
‘I was sent to Bosch as a hostage at the age of seven. No one would care for me. No one would be a true friend. But you were the only one who would support me and my heart. But you were just a spy to watch me. I believed in you, Henry!’ James said tearfully. (Zuben: What a wet blanket)
These men are stupid. I came out from behind the Duke and stood between him and James.
‘Stop it both of you!’ I said without thinking, ‘Henry, you’re not explaining yourself properly. James, stop wallowing in self pity. I had thought you were cooler than this. I think Henry became a spy to protect you, not to spy on you. Isn’t that right, Henry? But you haven’t ever told James that. Because of this, James had become confused. Both of you please reflect.’
I tried to inject some logic into the situation. (Zuben: Hah! Logic from the least logical person)
‘Hey! Don’t come closer! How is there such a reason! I don’t want to hurt you, but if you leave me no choice I will. Do you want to die?!’
‘No, I don’t want to die! But how will you stab me from behind James? If you stand there like that, you would not be able to attack me. I’m sure I will be able to evade your blade.’
I moved to Edward’s left where it would be impossible for him to harm James when he tried to stab me. He could not believe a lowly woman like herself would talk against a Prince like him. He was trembling in anger with a pale face,
‘Woman! Who do you think you are talking to?!’ Edward fell into anger and pushed James away, as he raised his sword at me. I could see it coming. When anger reaches its peak, humans cannot judge calmly and will move rashly. I predicted that Edward would not thrust but swing, in that case, it would be easy to evade.
Just as I was about to evade, I was yanked back out of the way. I fell backwards looking up at the ceiling. There was a scream and Henry’s face appeared, he looked like he was about to cry. I turned to the where the voice came from and saw Edward screaming in pain with a dagger in his right shoulder. Henry had yanked me back and thrown a dagger at Edward. I was lying in Henry’s arms and he grabbed my shoulder painfully while he glared at Edward.
‘Prince Edward, I was forced to react because you moved to hurt a Lady of our Kingdom. This was legal use of force as a knight of the Bosch Kingdom. I will write a report detailing this.’
‘Henry…’ James called as he rose, ignoring Edward, ‘Is it as Julia said? Did you really become a spy to protect me?’
 Henry shied away from James hopeful gaze as he said, ‘I could not bear for you to be framed by others again after that incident. So I thought I should be able to stop something like that happening again beforehand if I became in intelligence officer.’
I could see a ruddy glow on Henry’s impassive face. Are these people older than me? Why are they so clumsy and awkward?’
‘Does this look like the face of a man who has used you?’
James laughed, ‘That’s true Julia, you’re right. It seems I have misunderstood Henry.’
That was good, I am glad they could resolve the misunderstanding. I gave a sigh of relief. It was rather embarrassing to see the Duke’s bashful face. I gave a small laugh.
‘What’s so funny, Julia?’ He said in his usual dignified voice
‘Nothing.’ I replied, seeing Henry become expressionless again.
Percy came up to the Duke and saluted,
‘Your Grace.’
‘Percy, take Prince Edward and Prince James back to the royal castle for treatment. Mark, Michael and Keith stay here and investigate the house. Matt and David are with the police carriage, they can take the surviving Grusk to the holding cell; we will interrogate them tomorrow. I will see to Julia’s injuries and send her back to the Earl’s mansion. We will send a detail report to the powers later but Percy, you can give a rough draft.’
‘Wait a moment,’ James protested, ‘I am also worried about Julia. She was caught up in this because of me. She got cut by glass trying to escape; she probably has fragments in the wounds. We have to treat her quickly.’
‘Whoa! Wait a moment. I’m fine, I can take care of myself. I’m not bleeding severely, the wounds are mild. If you would just send me back to the Earl, I will manage with Hannah.’
‘No!’ Both men said at the same time.
I couldn’t disobey both of them; they were a Prince and Duke. How could a poor viscount’s daughter compete?
So I was carried by the Duke to Marius’ safe house while enduring the warm glances Henry’s subordinates were giving me.

🂬

34 Between a Prince and a Duke: 

I was brought directly to the bathroom and lowered to floor gently. Because of the Duke and James’ height the room felt confined,
‘Ah, what are you doing? I’m not going to get undressed in front of you!’ I was wary of any weird ideas the both of them might have. I suspect they would want me to get naked so that they could confirm the extent of my injuries. Yes, the Duke has already seen me naked, but not James.
‘I don’t know what thoughts you have in your head, Julia,’ Henry said, ‘but your knees have been injured, if we don’t clean the wounds, you will likely get an infection. I can wipe it with a wet towel. I will do it gently, it that alright?’
‘No, it’s-ah!’ The pain in my knees increased just by imagining it. It was throbbing and hurting, and I wanted to be spared more pain. (Zuben: Hmm, I thought she was cool headed in any situation)
‘Why don’t you clean the injury yourself and then I will put on bandages after.’ Henry said with a quiet smile at me. His soft golden hair shook a little. Staring at the handsome face, I forgot about the pain.
Even so, why is the Duke looking down on me? Was it my imagination that I was the dominant one? (Zuben: Well he is taller than you)
‘Julia,’ James cut in, ‘I will help you if it hurts. You should gently wash the wounds,’ his expression was gentle, but his face was red, black and blue with injuries.
‘James, I think you should handle your own injuries. His Grace can help me.’
‘Yes, you go elsewhere. I will look after Julia.’ Henry said as he embraced my shoulders.
James grabbed hold of my waist. Being sandwiched between the two large men in the small bathroom felt claustrophobic,
‘No way would I allow that. I will go crazy leaving you with Julia. I will take care of her and you need to report to the Castle quickly.’
(Zuben: Look if there isn’t going to be a sexy near sex threesome resulting from a competition on how can treat her better - all of you are annoying)
Since we were at a stalemate, I pushed them both away and pulled my dress above my knee, the Duke cried out in dismay,
‘Julia, are you getting undressed to take a bath?!’
‘What on earth are you talking about? If I don’t pull my dress up, how will I wash the wounds? Turn away, both of you!’
After making sure they weren’t peeking, I raised my skirts and gingerly stepped into the bath. It wasn’t deep, (Zuben: it’s a bath) it was refreshing to have the cool water on my skin. I looked at the window and could only see darkness. The light of the candle Henry had lit was reflected on the window illuminating me.
I looked awful. I could not imagine I looked anything like a decorous noble lady. My hair ribbon had since been lost, my hair hung down tangled and limp; I looked like ghost. The front of my dress was mud stained, and so was my face. How embarrassing to have been seen in such a state! I decided to clean my face. I winced as I put my hands in the water. The worst injuries were on my wrists and knees; I was just bruised everywhere else. For a time, it was just the sound of water being splashed about in the bathroom. I glanced at the two, they were obediently turned away. I gave a sigh and both of their shoulder twitched. I decided to sink into the water. But when I did this, the scabs on my hands and knees came off and the wounds started bleeding, it soon became a gory sight in the bath.
‘Ah!’ I exclaimed, the two men turned to see the bleeding. They both grabbed towels; Henry tended to my hands and James to my knees.
‘No, the towels will get stained.’
‘That’s not the most important thing right now; how did you get so injured?’
‘Julia, I am so sorry,’ James said piteously, ‘you got these injuries trying to help me.’
I was assaulted from both ends my Henry and James in the narrow bathroom. James was at my legs with a towel to stop the bleeding from my knees; his breath hit my thighs increasing my awareness of him. (Zuben: Why is he so close to your thighs? ¬.¬)
Henry was holding the towel around my wrists and I became aware of his muscled arms under his clothes, which reminded me of that rainy afternoon and soon I face was heated up to my ears.
This…what kind of situation is this…?!! (Zuben: Hmmm…? A threesome?)
I was suddenly confused and felt faint. Suddenly I was falling back into the tub with a loud splash.
‘Ky!!!’
My mind cleared with the immersion in cold water. I was shocked at being drenched from head to toe.
‘Julia!!’ Both men cried.
I looked at them and they both had been splashed,
‘Oh no! What to do! I am so sorry I got you gentlemen wet.’ I said half crying.
The two of them had anxious expressions on their faces. Then James took off his shirt. He handed the shirt to me leaving his upper body was bare. I was surprised to see that James had a surprisingly muscular body than it seemed from looking at him clothed.
‘You can use this Julia. I will get Hannah to bring a change of clothes for you tomorrow.’
What did Henry think of this? But then, he started to take his shirt off. (Zuben: Two numbskulls…)
‘Wait.’ I cried, ‘Your Grace, you are going to the Castle, you can’t go there without a shirt! Don’t worry, I will borrow James’.’
I shuddered as I envisioned the Duke walking down the castle hallways without a shirt on. I could not let him do such a thing or his female fans will multiply.
‘It’s alright; I have spare shirts in the house. Please wear this shirt, Julia.’
‘Then, why don’t get me a spare shirt rather than making me wear the one you have on?’
I thought I was making a perfectly logical decision but the both looked down at me with depressed faces. I was immersed in the tub with my butt, my arms and feet were barely out of the tub. I was still bleeding.
‘You Grace, why don’t you go and fetch the shirt. James, please help me out of here, using my hands hurt.’
‘Alright, my princess.’ James said gleefully. He grabbed my sides and lifted me high like a child. Water poured out of my dress into the bathtub.
‘James. James. Put me down, it’s too high!’
‘You’re so light, Julia. I could hold you up like this forever. Actually, that doesn’t sound like a bad idea.’
‘I don’t want that. Put me down.’
While James was teasing me, Henry returned with the clean shirt. He glared at James and tried to steal me from James.
‘Just a moment!’ I said authoritatively, ‘Put me down, I will do it myself. If I don’t get bandaged soon, I might bleed to death. Both of you get out! I will dress myself.’
My voice echoed in the bathroom almost hurting my own ears. But I did not feel like going along with their pranks anymore. Once they were out, I shut the door and took off my dress and underwear. I dried my wet hair and body. It was a good thing I was an impoverished lady, I could take care of myself, it just took a bit longer because I had hurt my hands. I put on the shirt Henry gave him, and I could smell him. I felt embarrassed, but it kind of felt like I was being hugged by Henry somehow. (Zuben: Did he give you a dirty shirt?)
I put my soiled things in a corner of the bathroom. I will collect them tomorrow. No matter what, I could not return to the Manor with a soiled dress. I would have unfathomable rumours circulating around me, and that would not be good. The bleeding had stopped when I emerged from the bathroom with only a shirt on. The two men were standing in the corridor, they both turned with smiles on their faces as the door opened, shocking me.
‘Oh you startled me! Were the both of you waiting for me?’
‘We were worried you might faint, ‘ James said, then he took on a smirk, ‘You look very attractive in that shirt, Julia.’
‘Er…don’t stare at me so. I am ashamed to have so much of my legs exposed.’ I said timidly as I tried to pull down the shirt a little lower. (Zuben: Why bother, it’s not like it’s going to grow)
Henry brought over a bed sheet and wrapped me up like a ghost.
‘It is taboo for a lady to show her ankles in public.’ He said sternly, ‘But it can’t be helped in this outfit.’
Even though, he had been smiling broadly just a moment ago, he had returned to his usual stern face again. This person who has touched my breasts as he liked, why was he bothered about my ankles?! (Zuben: Another man is in the room)
I wanted to retort, but James was there, so I swallowed my anger.
The two of them took care of my wounds, as they did so I began to feel very sleepy. I wondered if it was the after effect of the compound I had been drugged with.
‘You’re sleepy but it’s still eight ‘o’ clock, aren’t you hungry?’
‘Please let me sleep. Tonight isn’t…’
I fell into the Duke’s arms as he had been bandaging my wrists. I could hear them talking but I was soon deeply asleep.

Index 🃌 Next 

Comments

  1. Hmmm I'm lowkey annoyed at these two... They are not helping AT ALL! I would have thrown them out a long time ago.
    And Henry should have send James back, he should have had the upperhand in the situation anyway. Anyhow I can't believe James is acting even more childish than Henry. Don't know how to feel about that... should I laugh or cry (for Julia who is caught between these two men).

    ReplyDelete
  2. All brain activity seemed to escape these men when competing for the toy they both want... poor Julia dirty and wounded and neither of these bubblehead boys helping at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The three of them annoyed me this chapter, Julia is being dumb and arrogant, James is just plain stupid and childish, and I don't understand why Henry doesn't send him away.

    Thanks for the chapter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember he did try stylishly, but James adamantly refused and he also thinks that Julia likes James, since she has said so a few times. Yes, Julia is arrogant, but depite the annoying-ness of it all, I like her arrogance on a visceral level; it makes a nice change.

      Delete
  4. Not gonna lie but this scene looks like it came out from a K-DRAMA scene where the main and 2nd lead guys competes for the girl lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. ‘‘Hah! Logic from the least logical person" I couldn't agree more! xDD

    Tq for the translation~~~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mann were this really historical her reputation is totally trashed and she would have to marry one of them 100% also the modern underwear in historical situations and light clothing is so not right. But eh that's way too.logical and factual for this fluff story!
    😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those Syosetu writers have no concept of appropriate underwear for the setting.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Dear reader, please don't be alarmed your comment doesn't appear right away. Comments are moderated. Your comment will appear within twenty four hours.

Popular posts from this blog

Mo Yan in the Book 1 - 3 (H)

Mo Yan in the Book 16 - 20 (H, 3P)

Mo Yan in the Book 11 - 15 (H)