Presenting: The Villian Proposed

Image
RiMA - PIXIV Presenting a new novel, raws provided by jasmine🌸, Aa88 and manhwalover. I hail the consortium! Blurb: Lady Regina Bellua happens upon a murder one fateful evening and sees the killer. The killer is none other than Society's darling, the Duke of Greroy, Arsene Greroy.  And he saw her...

Running Commentary

I am a grumpy old codger and this is a "get off my lawn!"

The long answer to those who take issue with my running commentary:

There have been so many co-signitaries of late, I forgot about the people who don't like running commentary.

I do this for fun.

I do it because I love reading and writing.

Zubenechamali Zuben El-Genubi makes running commentary. This is me in real life. I make running commentary watching movies, tv shows, reading - if there is no one to hear, I will talk to myself.

I make comments within the story because, I would have forgotten by the end. The chapters take me over two to three days. And I want to make comments when something is incredulous, when it's funny, when it's fuckery, when it's sad. I don't have people to share this segment of my life with except you dear readers, so I want to share what I found funny, where I found it funny or all those other things. Not a boring cursory comment at the end, that could very likely turn into an essay. The 'moment's' gone. I might as well not say anything. More often than not, thoughts evaporate in my head as soon as they appear especially if I come across a line or paragraph that is a tangled mess and I need to think in seven dimensions to decipher and make legible. There is usually at least one in every chapter.

I did think of a way to deal with the commentary that would be satisfactory to me and all parties - not in different colours and nor in footnotes, but then I thought; why should I? Why. Should. I?

Why should I make the effort for the whiners despite warnings?

The one-stars?

The ones with "objective" suggestions which are not? Might I ask that you look up "objective" in the dictionary because your bias is showing.

More readers? Is there a 'most-reader' competition I am unaware of?

I actually do not need to pander to anyone in my domain. I do that enough in my working day.

There is a simple very direct adage; there is nothing you can say, there is nothing you can do that will satisfy the whole world. I am quite happy and satisfied to satisfy a small portion of it. And if that portion dwindles to nothing, I placed this on myself and I can put it down and walk away.

So if my 'running commentary' annoys you, takes you out of the story, so on and so forth; walk on by. Like my people say - e no be by force. There are many of us in this market. There are many translators who do things cleanly. But as a human, there are many instances we have to take what we want in conjunction with what we don't want. But if that is an unacceptable compromise, simply move on.



I thank everyone for reading my blog and enjoying the stories I chose, and those who make the effort to comment. Thank you all. Every number on the bean counter is like nitrox. Every comment is like rocket fuel; just as likely to take me to space as make me explode.

I leave you with Dionne Warwick, singing absolutely beautifully


Comments

  1. Well said, that's how I feel when I translate too. Thanks for the stories and keep on trucking.
    -otwentyfirst

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ikr those bad commenters doesn't even finish reading, at the end they just left a bad taste on our site and official novelupdates review . HEH .

    Not to mention, thethe translation is free! Is like a vegetarian making a taste review about a meat-based dish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I come here FOR the comments, I know I can trust Zuben for good snusnu stories...it even bad ones with excellent tsukkomi! Keep doing you! You're doing it kindness of they don't like they don't have to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been reading your translations and i find it entertaining. it's as if the author/translator is saying what's on their mind while writing it and sometimes, it confirms that i do understand what I'm reading since we are having the same thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like ur work, keep going

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you Nigerian? The e no be by force made me think so *squeals in excitement* I'm a Ghanaian, it's nice to see African translators.
    Ps: I love the commentary it's funny and interesting, it's quite irritating when ppl complain when you gave a disclaimer at the intro 🙄 continue to do your thing Sha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ding ding ding! I am Nigerian! I leave those little "easter eggs" for my fellow Africans to find. I'm glad to see Africans reading as well ^.^/ Thank you for your compliments. x

      Delete
  7. Também tenho gostado de suas traduções, já agradecendo por elas!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Dear reader, please don't be alarmed your comment doesn't appear right away. Comments are moderated. Your comment will appear within twenty four hours.

Popular posts from this blog

Mo Yan in the Book 1 - 3 (H)

Frangipani 1 - 2 (h)

Mo Yan in the Book 16 - 20 (H, 3P)